• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 23, 2020

    Anno Statue overlooking the port.

    Anno Statue overlooking the port.


    Statue overlooking the port.

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 11:21 AM PDT

    Post-Scarcity Anno

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 06:25 PM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/VTydxco.png

    Global Population

    Farmers: 0

    Workers: 0

    Artisans: 0

    Engineers: 0

    Jornaleros: 0

    Obreros: 0

    Investors: Everyone

    Welcome to an automated paradise where no one ever has to work again.

    See, when Bright Harvest was announced and we were told the tractors would half the number of workers each farm needed, I realized it would be pretty easy to get all the farms down to 0 workforce needed. Everyone who has ever run a World's Fair at some point comes across the Patented Steel Seed Drill. It drops pretty often from tier 7 Science, which is the full fair point for large exhibitions. Just click and let your economy take care of the rest for those sweet 1/6 drops.

    It turns out, I'd only need six of them to grow everything I needed with nothing but driverless tractors.

    This was actually a problem for me. This playthrough began as a challenge, low income, low influence, tiny islands, the sparest of fertility and mineral wealth. No settling Crown Falls until I built the World's Fair. No commuter piers, period. I wanted all the zoo and museum items for the first time and was about to get the sixth seed drill less than 30 hours in. I needed a new goal.

    I needed to automate everything.

    Not have the fake workforce from influence bonuses and town halls do everything. No workforce. Anywhere. On any island. +100 +100 +100 +100.

    Am I mad? I better be or this will never work.

    This began, as so many plans often do, with the Anno Asset Viewer. I trawled through every production building's items with the workforce filter, finding and noting all the troublesome spots. There are a few gimmes. Good ol' Micaela the Mining Engineer comes up often enough at Eli's prison. Plenty of World's Fair rewards reduce workforce required by 50%. There's quite a few sold items that reduce workforce by more than half. Plus there's the holy trinity.

    Everything and anything can be automated with these three items: The Printing Press (-40%), The Hall of Mutual Ideologies (-40%), and Bekonin (-25%).

    You can only get them through the Anarchist. Who can't be re-rolled. Who only sells items in one port per session. Cue four boats sitting in four ports and using the number pad 1,2,3,4 every few minutes. I did manage to get a few of these trinities, but not enough. Not when I need.. Uhm..

    Lots. Lots of trade unions.

    Remember when I said I was playing on low influence? Yeah. I was hitting that wall all game. Using every trade union to do nothing but give a 50% boost to production wasn't going to cut it. You're building trade unioned industries faster than you're building investor high rises at that point. Not using trade unions to bypass production trees and leaving all your shiny legendaries behind wasn't going to cut it here. I needed some slots open for them.

    I needed to get creative. I needed to dig through the asset's list again.

    Did you know there's an uncommon drop that reduces workforce in sand mines to zero? They're sold at Eli's and show up far less often in the late-game.

    Did you know a green ventilator+a blue first-rate sapper is just as good Micaela and twice as common?

    Did you know there's a quest only bell that only worker's will ever give you? It's as good as the Imperson8tor and works with it! No matter where you are in the world, a bell+a robot will be enough to make any factory work on its own.

    I only got two of those bells in the end and one was absolutely necessary.

    Cutting out sugar means cutting out two trade unions. One for sugar cane, one for sugar refineries. I just needed enough coffee beans, and everyone knows the bean dance by now.

    This, and half a dozen other tiny stories, was a hundred hour process, but it did slowly get easier. Slowly, because with each new automated industry, I needed more trade unions meaning more influence. Easier because I could cut out most of the production chains required for the rest of the populace. I still needed a corner of the world to make everything, but it only ever needed enough to get people through the upgrade stretch.

    It only takes three trade unions to automate farmers -> engineers. Provided you don't intend to keep them around for very long.

    And none of this would be complete without being able to run sumptuous parties forever. It only takes two unions to automate everything the World's Fair could ever ask for. Could have done it in one if only there was an island with sugarcane, bananas, corn, and cotton, but I'll take what I can get.

    And did I ever take.

    An island without anyone living or working on it can be driven as hard as you want.

    Yes. Seriously.

    Without a single chance of incidence. No fire. No explosions. No riots.

    Just empty lines from angry knackered honest working folks from a factory that hasn't had a living soul inside it for years. Iron goes in. Pennyfarthings come out.

    Even the boats make themselves.

    I don't think I've ever had a statistics screen this wonky before.

    And that all without even a single police station.

    Phew.

    So what did we learn from this?

    I guess in the world of Anno, you can build a post-scarcity paradise for everyone in the 1800s.

    But was it worth it? Not really. The game is less fun without the diversity of needs you get from everyone, plus there's just not enough room to play with all the fancy toys the game throws at you. Town halls stopped being about happiness and sneaky ways to prop up workforce and where only there to eschew the need for coffee.

    You can't automate the north. In this playthrough, that meant demolishing everything up there once I had enough airships and gas. I find this much more pleasantly balanced, personally, and after pushing the game this far, I think all of Anno would have been better if the items could only ever reduce needs instead of getting rid of them completely.

    It's possible to never build a single ton of pocket watches or jewelry, the founder of the member's club rolls often enough at Eli's, but it's simply more fun to mine gold from somewhere else. Even if it's far easier to find it in the sand at home.

    The game gives you all these fancy problems, and only in the north do you get solutions that make it easier instead of cutting out the problem all together.

    Maybe I should settle for that next time. For now, I'm calling it a day.

    submitted by /u/Thallori
    [link] [comments]

    I would love to have India in the game with monsoon

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 04:23 AM PDT

    Are items simplifying the game too much?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 11:18 AM PDT

    While I am not an advocate of nerfing or removing stuff from the game, I think that some of the items available are detrimental to the complexity and content of the game. Please hear me out before you downvote :)

    Let's look at the following items:

    • Gerhard Fuchs - replaces the brass requirement of spectacle factory with wood. This means that the main need of investors can easily be supplied with a couple woodcutters, sand mines and glass factories. He is legendary, so getting him might not be immediate, but he basically removes the need of brass from the game, if you are not going for supplying all needs.

    • Chef Michel - replaces the need of goulash in cannery with pigs. Only an epic item, so easily rollable from Eli. What does it do? It replaces a fairly space consuming, expensive, 3 building chain with a pig farm. Yes - a whole fertility is now useless, a whole livestock farm is now useless and artisanal kitchen is now useless (unless you need some goulash for the world fair, but that is only temporary). With this item you can forget about pepper farms at all.

    • Costume designer - replaces the need for silk with wool in Fur Coat production. A rare item, easily rollable from Eli. Removes the need to go to New World to build investor cities. Yes, you still will need coffee and chocolate, but they are not strictly necessary and you can easily build up Crown Falls full of investors without ever setting foot in the New World.

    • Mr Garrick - fullfills the need of pocket watches and jewellery. An epic item, easily rollable from Eli. It removes the need for whole jewellery and pocket watch chains. Gold mines, goldsmiths, pearl farms, jewellers, clockmakers - all redundant.

    Those are the four main offenders that eliminate a big part of the game. There are other quite powerful ones, but none that are so blatantly removing vast parts of the game economy.

    Do you think that those particular items are too powerful and should be adjusted or left as they are?

    submitted by /u/Avalyah
    [link] [comments]

    Expanding!

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 09:59 AM PDT

    I'm pretty new to the game. Just got to Engineers for the first time. Haven't yet built any commuter piers or gotten to grips with oil or electricity (Wouldn't mind tips on that also).

    I'm worried that I've expanded much more than was necessary. I have something like eight islands in both the Old and New worlds. Just unlocked Trelawny, immediately started grabbing even more islands.

    I don't really need the islands, I'm just worried that the AI will snatch them up.

    I grabbed all these islands during the Artisan tier and built up little villages on all of them. Some are dedicated to producing goods to ship back to my main island, schnapps/goulash/bread/rum/cigars, but most are just self sustained villages that I got to worker tier in case I needed them for stuff later. Didn't realize commuter tiers were a thing.

    Other than being overwhelmed with the logistics of everything, is there any downside to what I'm doing? How many islands should I have at this point in the game? Should I only expand to islands that have resources I require? I haven't started moving my production off my main island yet - there's still plenty of room for expansion. So far I haven't felt any impact from having all this land.

    This game sure does a good job at making me anxious to boot it up every time ;) I just want to start the game over and end this nightmare haha. But I also realize that working through the tiers is a huge learning experience for how to plan things out in the next run.

    submitted by /u/ChickenDenders
    [link] [comments]

    Old Nate is attempting the first powered manned flight

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    Looking for Anno 1800 mods

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 10:50 AM PDT

    Hey! I'm currently planning a new game for Anno 1800 and I'd like to do a new game with mods.

    I always prefer to play my games slow and make nice and beautiful cities. so maybe mods which adds more cosmetics?

    I don't really know much about mods for this game so I will await some good reconmendations.

    submitted by /u/CoconutBoycott
    [link] [comments]

    I made it to the summit!

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    modding in story mode?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 10:43 AM PDT

    is it possible to mod in story mode?

    submitted by /u/BunnerSneaky
    [link] [comments]

    A small cabin retreat by the lakeside

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 06:48 PM PDT

    So I'm playing Anno 2205

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 01:38 PM PDT

    And I'm having an absolute blast! I don't understand why it got such negative reviews. I'm having so much fun optimizing my supply chains, conquering the stock market, and modifying the game mechanics in the nexus, more than I ever had in Anno 1800. I know one common complaint was the lack of randomized world generation, but there's still a whole lot more variety than ending up at Crown Falls every single playthrough.

    submitted by /u/Silicon-Based
    [link] [comments]

    You can buff one building twice with two separate trade unions, it's up to four effects on one building

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 01:35 PM PDT

    Deleting Expeditions

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 12:44 PM PDT

    Is it a good strategy to delete too hard expeditions to have them replaced rapidly by another? Or 'rapidly' does not work and expeditions get added at a completely random pace?

    I would like one skull pirates expeditions for now ... Can I delete zoo expeditions so that I get new expeditions rapidly?

    submitted by /u/PocusFR
    [link] [comments]

    The whales are putting on a show

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 06:46 PM PDT

    All ready for building an empire in 1404 HE

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 02:28 PM PDT

    "Do I breathe laughing gas?" Actually, yes...

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 03:25 PM PDT

    What kind of ship is it?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 09:48 PM PDT

    Is the Flagship a sail ship, a steamer, an hybrid? Which items works on him? Like speed boost if sail ship?

    submitted by /u/PocusFR
    [link] [comments]

    To much coins? To much goods? Let's build a retard fun city on medium size island.

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 02:59 PM PDT

    Anno 1404 Campaign Mission 6, quite easy to hold the line, isn't it?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 05:21 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment